When to have the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to have the distance?

You are in a relationship and that relationship has been on a rocky road for weeks now. When is the time to create some distance aka cool off? Note that we all know that most of the time, the created distance would turn into a breakup in the end.

If it would lead to a breakup then I do not want to have that distance. lol. Really, I do not want to end the relationship just like that. My time and effort would be put to waste if I allow to have a cool off.

Comment

• virgingirl
      virgingirl commented
      Editing a comment
      So, are you saying that you would refuse the cool off but would have to solve the issues immediately to reconcile with him?

• StrongAsZeus
      StrongAsZeus commented
      Editing a comment
      It's better if you two should break up, maybe you two can find better people out there. It's not like your boyfriend is the only nicest person around, give other guys a chance to be with you and I'm sure that they can do better than your ex.

• KellyEM
      KellyEM commented
      Editing a comment
      If you think that there is still a chance to have the relationship saved then cool off is not that necessary anymore. You could try to solve and save the relationship.

I guess you can have a cool off when all that you and your partner does is fight. It's better to distance yourselves to one another and take some time off in order for the both of you to think.

Comment

• lover404
      lover404 commented
      Editing a comment
      But most cool offs would lead to breakups so would you still do the cool offs?

• bemine
      bemine commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, when a couple is already fighting then it is time to have that cool off to stop those quarrels.

When the two of you could no longer understand each other then that would be the proper time to have a cool off. That is just a transition period for the impending breakup. There could no longer be compromises to be made so it is time to have the distance already.

Comment

• CuddlyPac
      CuddlyPac commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes it's better to just end it without telling your partner to have a cool off, I'd be sure that they will distance themselves already if you say the word "cool off", which also means that the relationship you're in will end sooner or later.

No reason to have a cool off. Better break up already if you really think that your relationship is not working well anymore.

Comment

• honesty101
      honesty101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes breaking up is the hardest but somehow the easiest way to settle things down with your partner. There's no use to fix things and say that it's okay to continue, it's not rocket science.

• PieFlavor
      PieFlavor commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha. Yeah, you are right. Why the need to have a cool off when you would have to break up in the end?

• Stoneyption
      Stoneyption commented
      Editing a comment
      But you could still use the cool off period to save your relationship. There is still time to have it.

I do think that it's about space, cool offs are made for couples to breathe in for a moment then they'll come back to continue the relationship. It takes two of them to work things outs, not all cool off end to breaking up, you know.

Comment

• fistingfatties
      fistingfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      But it is during cool offs that they meet someone better than their partners that's why cool offs usually leads to break ups.

• AudreyA
      AudreyA commented
      Editing a comment
      You are kidding yourself. While that is the ideal purpose of those cool offs, it does not usually happen. What happens next is the inevitable. Well, we know that dreaded ending, right?

Distance yourself from each other if both of you are already hurting each other. Not necessarily physically but maybe emotionally and mentally. If the well-being of either one of you is already compromised, I think there's a need for you to take a time off in your relationship.

Comment

• BearMsAlive
      BearMsAlive commented
      Editing a comment
      So, you think that cooling off is the way to go? So, there would be a possibility that they can still be together right? Because if so, then I do agree that cool off is better than breaking up, things might end up well in the end. Do not lose hope!

To be honest, you don't need cool off. If you already know in yourself that you don't want to be in a relationship with him anymore, just say it directly. Time will be saved if you do that.

Comment

• newromance
      newromance commented
      Editing a comment
      You are one wise woman sexyme1, I must follow your advice if the time comes that this situation might occur to me. Of course, why waste time when you can tell it to that person immediately.

• Airbind
      Airbind commented
      Editing a comment
      I know for some reason that those cool off thingy is pointless, why don't they just break up already right? Why does it have to take so long?

It's best to have space between the two of you when both of you are already not thinking rationally. When the two of you are starting to attack each other with hurtful words, it's best to distance yourselves from each other for a while.

Comment

• merrygoround
      merrygoround commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's true, and if they're okay then they should settle their issues in a nice way. They should act maturely to situations like this if they still want to continue their relationship.

• halfSlut23
      halfSlut23 commented
      Editing a comment
      But what if my partner starts to think that breaking up is the only way for us to be at peace? I don't know how I'd be able to handle that, I think it's best if we break up?

Go and get some distance whenever you feel like you have to. There is no definite reason or circumstance that will imply that you need distance yourself from your partner. It all depends on how you are feeling towards him/her.

Comment

• smoker
      smoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe the other just needed a break from everything, take some time to breathe and think things through before going back and continuing on with the relationship. Life is stressful and sometimes it affects relationships with other people too especially with our significant other, but worry not, we've all been there.

• morelove
      morelove commented
      Editing a comment
      When you're saying that if you want to have distance without a reason, then I think that you are lost somehow. Why would you want to distance yourself? Your partner would not be able to understand that one.

I don't think having distance with each other is the solution for a rocky relationship. You shouldn't take a cool off and instead, try to work things out between you two through having a decent talk.

Comment

• badbadboys
      badbadboys commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that a cool-off thingy would be helpful if only they're too busy keeping up with other things in life, they should set aside their relationship and focus on other things. If the right time comes then they should talk things out.

Distance yourself if you think that you are already falling out of love with your partner. Because with the time that you are away from each other, you'll have some realizations. You might realize that you really need him in your life or maybe the other way around.

Comment

• SmgSpuffy
      SmgSpuffy commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, you must think things through before you get to decide whether to continue the relationship or not. Cool off is one of the best ways to get some space from your partner, it's like you can do a "reset" to your relationship.

Make some distance between the two of you if you think that your partner's attitude or behavior is already getting out of hand. Especially if your partner doesn't listen to you anymore. Let the situation cool down first and see where your relationship will go from there.

Comment

I think it would be good to distance yourself from your partner the moment that he/she becomes violent and acts like he/she doesn't think rationally anymore.

Comment

Working...
      X