Dated the workmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dated the workmate

What do you think about dating someone in your workplace? I asked because I once dated someone from my former workplace. It didn't work, by the way. He doesn't know how to act professionally whenever we were in a fight. In other words, he doesn't know how to separate what's personal and what's professional and that's the reason why I ended it. Anyway, do you think it's appropriate or ethical to date someone from your workplace?

Former workplace? Wait, did you resign just because of him? Wow, your relationship must have been really toxic then.

Comment

• uninvoked
      uninvoked commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not resign if ever my boyfriend and I broke up. I would not care if he resigns but surely I won't be the one who would leave the company.

• TeaBroadway
      TeaBroadway commented
      Editing a comment
      If he resigned then I think that I should also resign as to keep the fairness and to stop whatever gossip that may arise from it.

I don't think that dating someone from your workplace is a right decision. It seems inappropriate and unethical for me because there will always be times when you can't separate your personal life from work life. One example of the consequence is the situation that you just mentioned. Well, at least your relationship is already over.

Comment

• AliveLivery
      AliveLivery commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, you some points over there. It is always good to refrain having a relationship with a workmate to avoid some issues.

• pleaserloser
      pleaserloser commented
      Editing a comment
      Unethical? But why? It is not wrong to love someone from the workplace. Loving someone is never unethical at all.

• BabyBabu
      BabyBabu commented
      Editing a comment
      But there are some advantages in having a boyfriend at work. You would be able to see him right away and other accessibility advantages.

Sure, you can date someone from your work. There is no harm with that one as long as the two of you are compatible with each other. It would just be like a regular relationship with someone from outside the company. The only thing that is different is that you could easily see each other when you are on the same department.

Comment

• MoiraMcTagarrt
      MoiraMcTagarrt commented
      Editing a comment
      Would it not be great to see the love of your life on a daily basis? The seeing would be so frequent that you would get tired from it. lol.

• longneck
      longneck commented
      Editing a comment
      If there are no restrictions to have workmate relationships then you could have it.

No, as it sometimes affects the quality of work when two people become lovers. That is seen when they are both so much in love with each other that they could no longer work properly in their workplaces. I do not know but I had seen some people who were like inseparable in the workplace.

Comment

• AudreyA
      AudreyA commented
      Editing a comment
      But they won't come to work just to flirt with each other so how could it affect the quality of work?

• smartass
      smartass commented
      Editing a comment
      AudreyA, It's impossible that at some point some couples do flirt inside of their workplace since it's just only the beginning of their relationship. It's the honeymoon phase as they say. In the long run, the effect will take its toll on their work performance when things get complicated for both of them. It's possible that they might not separate their personal problems to work problems. Just wait and see when their relationship is already on the edge and you will tell me that I am right.

It did not work out on your part because the man was immature. Had the man been mature enough, your relationship would had worked. Anyway, it is fine to have a lover in the workplace so long as the two of you would be able to handle the relationship well.

Comment

• Yuki23
      Yuki23 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I've been there too, I've dealt with immature men and I know I deserve better so I stopped there. But the real issue here is dating a workmate? No, |I do not have plans of dating a coworker, I'd always want to keep my work professional and my love life to be personal so there won't be much issue to occur.

It will be appropriate if those two people are mature and responsible enough. They should know how to act accordingly in the workplace.

Comment

• Aglowwo
      Aglowwo commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I've seen a few couples who end up being together then after some time, they aren't together anymore. They act low-key bitter even at the workplace, or right in front of us and it is not a good thing to see, lol!

• AnnieP
      AnnieP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, we should be mature enough and act according to what are expected in the workplace.

It's inappropriate for me because there will always be times wherein you can't help but to be sweet and affectionate to each other. And if you do that, your fellow workmates will definitely be affected.

Comment

• StrongAsZeus
      StrongAsZeus commented
      Editing a comment
      Public display of attention you mean? I'm sure that some people are okay with it and some are not, it's best that they should act accordingly and know when and where to be sweet and serious. They must keep in mind that work is a serious thing, okay, so as relationships but there's plenty of room for that when the shift's over, right?

• SmileDemiSmile
      SmileDemiSmile commented
      Editing a comment
      The workmates would be affected in what way? Those workmates could not care about their sweetness unless they are bitter with themselves. lol.

Dating someone from your workplace would be inappropriate if all you do is flirt together and get mushy. In that way, you won't get any work done, hence, affecting the productivity of the company. But if you know how to manage your feelings and desire towards each other, I guess it's okay.

Comment

• SimplyAlisha
      SimplyAlisha commented
      Editing a comment
      But I guess that the two of you won't come to the company and would flirt all day long. Who would do such foolishness?

• Lingtote
      Lingtote commented
      Editing a comment
      SimplyAlisha There have been cases where two people were fired because they were flirting with each other during the whole office hours. So I guess those people who would do such a foolish thing are the ones that are immature and irresponsible.

I do think that it is inappropriate to date a workmate. I got away with one but it was more like an almost relationship and I'm glad that things didn't go as planned. I swore to myself that I will never be in a relationship with anyone that is working in the same workplace as I do. Things will not go well for both of us, so it's best to just stay single or be with someone out of your workplace.

Comment

• hitthesack
      hitthesack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's good that you've dodged a bullet there! Indeed, you cannot perform well at work if you're dating someone in the same workplace as you do. Of course, if anything goes wrong between you two, it will possibly affect your work and your coworkers may even stick their noses to you and your partner if anything goes wrong. See what I mean?

• Live2Hunt
      Live2Hunt commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely agree to this. Dating in the workplace also implies a conflict of interest. Instead of just focusing on your work for the company, your attention will be divided because you have your loved one in that same workplace.

I think it's appropriate for as long as both of them are not in the same department. In that way, they won't be able to interact that much to each other. Also, conflict in the department due to personal reasons will certainly be avoided.

Comment

• fistingfatties
      fistingfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      But they can still meet in the pantry or in the lobby area, right? They can flirt in places like that and will be lost in time. In that way, they are not able to finish their tasks.

In my opinion, dating a workmate is not a very good idea. It can negatively contribute to the productivity of the company. I just hope that all companies ban dating in the workplace.

Comment

Working...
    X